- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups cooked white beans
- Vegetable broth to cover (at least 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (I used lemon thyme)
- 1/2 cup chopped baby arugula
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Optional: 2 tablespoons light colored miso
- In a medium saucepan, layer the onion on the bottom, then place the carrots on top. Add a layer of celery, then add the beans. Add vegetable broth to just cover everything. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add the thyme. Add a pinch of sea salt. Once the soup comes to a boil, turn the heat down to simmer on low heat, covered, for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, dilute the miso if using, by placing it in a bowl and adding a few tablespoons of the hot broth. Stir until smooth. After the soup has cooked for 20 minutes to 1 hour, Add more broth if desired. season the soup by adding sea salt and black pepper to taste. Puree half the soup with an immersion blender if you wish. Add the arugula, optional miso, 1 teaspoon sea salt, olive oil and black pepper to taste.